Despite news on the COVID-19 vaccine, there’s still a lot of things that are uncertain. One glimmer of hope in a world of uncertainty, though, is a new COVID relief package signed into law in December.
The COVID relief package in December dedicated $54.3 billion for K-12 schools, and another $130 billion was proposed in January by the Biden administration. You can learn more about the proposal here.
Uses for these funds include but are not limited to:
- Providing resources principals need to address COVID at their school
- Addressing the specific needs of disadvantaged students, including those living in poverty, learning English, experiencing homelessness, dealing with disabilities or living in foster care
- Purchasing PPE and supplies needed to disinfect schools
- Purchasing the hardware and software needed to conduct remote and hybrid learning
- Providing services to support student mental health
More details about the state-by-state breakdown of the funds along with the full list of uses for the funds can be found here.
Additional Funding in Pennsylvania
In Pennsylvania alone, the Tribune Review reports that Gov. Tom Wolf will be dedicating $2.2 billion to K-12 districts and charter schools. Although schools will still need to apply through the state Department of Education’s website before receiving monthly payments.
According to the January 15 article by the Tribune Review,
“School districts and charter schools may use [Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER)] funding for a wide range of activities, including food service; professional training; technology purchases; sanitization and cleaning supplies; summer and after-school programs; and mental health supports.
A list of ESSER II fund allocations is available on PDE’s website. Funds must be used by September 2023. School districts and charter schools must apply to PDE to obtain their allocated funds. The application process will be posted on the PDE website.”
If you need more efficient and user-friendly software for your remote and hybrid learning environments, our Onspire and aSAP! platforms can help make your lives easier, especially during this time. You can schedule a free demo today to see if our programs are the right fit for you.